Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cervelo Saga

So.... Quick background.  I am on a 2013 Cervelo S5.  It's a phenomenal bike.  Top notch.  If it would only stop making noise in the bottom bracket...

My bike shop / mechanic where I got it has truly gone to war on this one.  He's good.  Really good.  Top level race mechanic and has a vast background - I trust him.  I am currently on my 2nd S5 frame from Cervelo.  For the same problem...  The damned BBright bottom bracket won't stop clicking / creaking / making noise.  Ya, carbon bikes make a bit of noise, but it can almost always be silenced.  That is the name of the game with top end bikes.  The more technology you pack into them - the more tweaking they require.

Cervelo offered up a fix a month ago.  Their partner in dev, Rotor, developed a new bottom bracket bearing system called the Rotor Press Fit 4630 Bottom Bracket that eliminates the absolutely ridiculous plastic cup system that Cervelo thought would be a good idea.  The solution seemed to work.  For about 20 miles.  On Rotor's defense the entire bottom end really did feel better.  Stiffer and more efficient for sure.  I am not a Tour de France rider but I know my bike and how I pedal.  It was a good step forward.  But WTF to the noise that won't go away?!

Mechanic isolated the noise to the spindle in the crank set.  Ripped that out, Rotor warrantied it, sound disappeared for another 20 miles then came back just as bad - maybe worse.

So mechanic calls today.  Cervelo wants the frame - in Canada.  Um, I leave for Japan in 2 weeks!?  Mechanic wasn't having any of this either so he is on the case.  USA Western regional rep comes in tomorrow and I feel bad for him.

The bike is stellar.  Fast, stiff, light, and honestly I really like it!  Just get rid of the effin' bottom bracket noise and I will be a happy cyclist!!!

I'll keep everyone posted on this one as I am sure there are others out there with this issue.  Before this I was on a 2013 Cervelo S2.  Guess what?  No noise!  

This is the last thing I need before I travel half way around the world.  Bags are half way packed, Bike Box Alan is ready to party, and I am dealing with frame warranty BS.  

As a side note this has been an issue from DAY ONE.  This isn't a result of neglect or build.  It is specific to this model.  Please @cervelo do the right thing and sort out this BBright madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment